GITC TEACHING ARTIST RESIDENCIES FOR MUSIC INTEGRATION
- Music Integration is an APPROACH to TEACHING in which students construct and demonstrate UNDERSTANDING through MUSIC. Students engage in a CREATIVE PROCESS which CONNECTS music and English Language Arts, Math or other subject areas and meets EVOLVING OBJECTIVES in both.
- GITC Teaching Artist Residencies offer educators who study with us the chance to bring music to academic learning into their TK-5 and special education classrooms with direct support from a qualified GITC teaching artist. Residencies can last from 6 to 20 weeks.
- Together the teacher and artist collaboratively design, create, and co-teach arts integrated lessons and units that embed literacy and academic learning in musical processes and songs.
- As their classroom teacher learns to lead independently, our teaching artists becomes a supporter instead of the primary leader. This is called “sequential, gradual release coaching.”
- Students in a GITC Teaching Artist Residency classrooms participate once a week in a GITC music class in which an academic subject, lesson and skill are specifically addressed through the power of song and the joy of strumming ukes, singing, songwriting and movement.
- To discuss visiting a GITC residency classroom or to request a residency, please contact our office at (619) 578-2326 or email us at email@example.com.